Tuesday, January 25, 2011

...keeping out of mischief...

Usually on holidays I spend long hours reading, or countless hours playing patience or solving sudoku, but THIS year I've been breaking tiles and making mosaics instead.  Liz and I have been very busy recycling old stormwater terracotta pipes into little masterpieces to hide in the garden.  We think they'll be ideal to support citronella torches, or rest a candle on (in a terracotta saucer), or maybe a plant in a pot.........  Here's what the pipes look like in the raw.....

We've made six, and I've added a photo of a finished one in situ.  The garden behind it is a mixture of dietes and violets (and a weed or two) so the mosaic has some stylised dietes on it.  When I was weeding I found a ceramic ear from a broken dolls head, or maybe a quirky tea set (?? who knows?  I'm not the original gardener) so its hiding amongst the dietes petals, but you have to look hard to see it.  Liz says its like a signature, something that makes the finished product mine alone.  Certainly no-one else is jumping up to take the credit, so mine it is!! 
This has been over a week of the most enjoyable time I've spent in ages..... quiet mutterings when two pairs of hands hunt for the perfect shape, sighing over having to wield the hammer to break up more tiles into handy pieces, taking it in turns to make restorative coffee.....  Celebrating the work of kindred spirits.

More grouting to be done and then I'll have to find those torches that are hidden in the garage and see if it was a good idea after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

love to know what you think.......