Friday, January 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Mum

Followed Ali's lead and took my Mum to the NGV today to celebrate her birthday (but we're not counting to see which one). It was a friendly collection of six: Mum and Dad, my cousins Sue and Chas, and Simon and me. We went up to the Tea Room and shared afternoon tea, and lots of extra scones (with lashings of strawberry jam and cream). So many teas to choose from, so many things to eat, and all them YUMMY.

Spent yesterday making a card for Mum and here it is........ I was inspired by one I had made for Debbie last year, but since my Mum is like me and wears lots of black (well, we DO live in Melbourne) I left out the white accents. I used a 6" black glossy card as a base and layered it with some Kagaz flocked paper from Officeworks, and some iridescent red scraps from the busy room folders. There's also a black mat, and a sentiment from SU Always which I borrowed from Debbies shelves. The flowers are a combination of mine and Debbies (hers is the lovely red one at the back) and a silver star brad to hold it all in place.

Looking at the finished card now, and its too late since I've already given it to Mum, it needs something extra on the black. Next time.

4 comments:

  1. Birthday tea sounded marvelous for all involved - I'm going to go downstairs in a minute to make myself a little toast with some strawberry jam because of you! (lol) It won't be the same but oh, the power of suggestion.

    I don't mean to disagree with you, but I think this card is fantastic and doesn't need any tweaking now or next time. I love the striking red and black. It's clean but really bold at the same time. Very elegant. I never put the right words together to say what I'm thinking so I ramble on...the message is - this is a beautiful and classy card. There...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having seen this marvellous card IRL I know it doesn't need anything else on the black! The stunning paper, the sentiment and the flower are elegance in paper! Maybe it's just the picture that doesn't do it justice!
    Glad you had a fab time at NGV - we must go again soon too.....why wait for a birthday!!?!?
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum is very lucky to receive a sweet card like this... I'm a fan of these colors! Black is very classy! Hope you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea and yummy treats... :)

    Welcome back Carolann!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mum's beautiful card has an Asian influence, me thinks. I'm sure she loved it!

    I want to go to NGV with you and Debbie. I've never had a proper tea. We shall plan on it when I finally make my way to Melbourne!

    Also, black is slimming, so it's the BEST color to wear as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete

love to know what you think.......